Celebrating women’s voices around the world on International Women’s Day
As a woman, a mother to an amazing daughter, a sister, a wife, a leader and a passionate women's rights advocate, it’s been incredible to bear witness to the groundswell of support for gender equality this past year. We’ve watched women find their voices, and seen the world begin to listen more actively.
In fact, over the last year, the world has searched for "gender equality" more than ever before. People are not just asking questions; they are looking for ways to understand inequality, seek inspiration, speak out, and take action. This International Women’s Day, we’re recognizing what the world is searching for, and celebrating the strong, courageous women who are pushing us toward a more equal future.
On our homepage today, we’re commemorating women whose stories are not often heard. Through an interactive Doodle, we’re highlighting the voices of 12 artists from all around the world, each sharing a personal story of a moment or event that impacted her life. Each artist featured in the Doodle tells a unique story, yet the themes are universal, reminding us how much we have in common.
Here are more ways you can get involved and celebrate International Women’s Day:
- Tune in on YouTube at 11:45 a.m. ET tomorrow, March 8 to hear from Oprah Winfrey, Storm Reid, Gugu Mbatha-Raw and director Ava DuVernay of Disney’s “A Wrinkle in Time” for a special International Women’s Day Talks at Google event. The cast will be joined by 40 teen girls from Girls Inc as a part of a Made with Code event.
- Explore top-searched trends around women at g.co/womensday.
- Celebrate with your Google Assistant by asking, "Hey Google, tell me inspiring quotes from women.”
- Support the women behind great apps and games as well as strong female protagonists in games, movies, TV and books on the Google Play store.
- Follow the conversation at @WomenTechmakers as over 20,000 women in tech connect and inspire one another during our annual Women Techmakers International Women's Day events in 52 countries.
- Watch the Merrell Twins’ new YouTube series “Project Upgrade,” premiering Saturday, March 10. Follow two YouTubers as they build and code their own product, all the while showing girls the unlimited possibilities of CS and STEM.
Here’s to supporting women everywhere in the search for a more equal future.